Saturday, November 18, 2006

 

Cheera Thoran/Red Spinach Thoran

After a long break I am posting this recipe. I am reading all your blogs but I don’t get enough time to comment or post recipes. For next one month I will be tied up with my studies, by late December I will be back with full energy to blogging. I guess there are lots of events happening around, happy to see all the bogglers’ enthusiasm in posting recipes. I have bookmarked so many recipes to try and my book mark has become a monster list. Coming back to the recipe, this recipe is made with red spinach; it can be also made with any green leaves or spinach. I learnt this recipe from my mom. I like spinach but hate the process of cleaning. Here goes the recipe!!

Method

  • Clean the spinach leaves and chop them finely
  • Heat oil in the pan; splutter a tsp of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, and few curry leaves.
  • To this add 3-4 pearl/shallots chopped finely, 2-3 red chilies, 2-3 finely chopped garlic, slit 2 green chilies length wise and saute them.
  • Add the chopped spinach, ¼ tsp turmeric, little asafetida, salt for taste, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add ¼ cup grated coconut and cover cook for another 3-4 minutes. Try not to over cook them.

Serve with rice.

15 Comments:

Blogger FH said...

It's okay to take a break Priya! I am glad you are taking time for yourself and can't wait for Dec.when you will be back. I probably take last of Dec off too:)

Red spinach dish sounds wonderful and might go very well with my Akki Rotti too.I will try.Good recipe for winter:))

Happy Thanksgiving!

4:55 AM   Edit
Blogger archana said...

Good to see you back Priya, wish you all the best with your studies. Cheera thoran is one of my all time favorites sides for rice. Thank you for your recipe

6:58 AM   Edit
Blogger indosungod said...

Priya, this is one of my favorite recipes, quick to cook and healthy,what more can you ask.

Good Luck with your exams and Happy Thanksgiving!

8:21 AM   Edit
Blogger Mrs. K said...

Looks yum! I haven't tried red spinach yet. Have to tried making thoran with kale? It is yummy too. I have blogged about it long time ago. Good luck with your studies.

8:56 AM   Edit
Blogger Lakshmik said...

Hi Priya

This is so similar to the Sauteed Spinach recipe I posted a couple of days ago on my blog. The only difference - I did not add coconut. Looks delicious.

10:00 AM   Edit
Blogger Jayashree said...

Priya, this is one of my favourite dishes...where did u manage to find red spinach? I haven't ever seen it here in the US and it's been absolutely ages since I've had it.

8:20 PM   Edit
Blogger Pooja said...

hi,
this is my first time visit to your blog. Nice blog. iwould like to visit it again.
this red spinach toran is a good idea , thanks for sharing recipe.
Happy thanks giving :)
-Pooja

9:50 PM   Edit
Blogger manju bansal said...

Hi Priya! Welcome back. It's a nice palak recipe. Also it is the season to make palak.

1:37 AM   Edit
Blogger Lakshmi said...

good to see u back Priya, how are you.
nice healthy recipe and Happy Thanksgiving.

1:04 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi priya,
this my favourite dish &bhel puri is my favourite snack item.actually we will prepare spinach dish without coconut but this time when i did this curry ,added coconut it was different and tasty too.good luck for ur exams and see u back soon!

6:47 AM   Edit
Blogger Tanuja said...

Hi Priya,

Hope u enjoyed ur break priya,we make the same kind fry,goes great with any kind of rotis.

7:24 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss you, but good luck with the studies!

I make this often - it's a staple in my house. And leftovers (not often the case!) make great sandwiches the next day.

4:44 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Priya !
Congratulations for one year Anniversary of your blog !

12:44 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are your studies. Hope to see you back soon.

5:30 PM   Edit
Blogger Nabeela said...

that looks like such a nice and healthy recipe Priya! All the best with your studies, exams must be around the corner for you too..

7:47 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home